Tuesday, January 18, 2011

More Questions than Answers...

Yesterday Evan underwent an Upper GI study with a small bowel follow through.  This test was done to rule out any hernias or obstructions he may have, which may be contributing to his weight loss and reflux issues.  We received the results today and they were...normal.  When we have medical tests done, aren't we always hoping for normal results?  Typically I would say this is the case, but in this instance it left me and the doctors with more questions than answers.  It leaves me wondering what is causing this invisible reflux?  How can this severe problem be going on yet we don't see any of it's symptoms or know it's cause?  If the test had shown a haital hernia, which is what the doctors were fairly suspicious of, Evan would have had surgery and the reflux would be resolved.  If the test had shown a blockage or impaction, he would have had surgery, and the problem would be gone.  Don't get me wrong, the last thing I want is for Evan to have to undergo one more surgery, but at least it would have brought resolution for him.

He has been getting high calorie formula through his NG (naso-gastric) tube for over a month now.  He has gained some much needed weight and I am thrilled about that.  But where does this leave us?  The medications alone don't seem to be curing the reflux, so what other options do we have?  How long will we have to continue these feeds?  What is the next step? So, today normal means we are back to the drawing board for answers.  I know that there is a good chance we will never get an answer as to what is causing his reflux and his weight loss, but I feel that before I can accept that, I have to explore every possibility. 

3 comments:

  1. My kiddos had reflux, but not that severe. Taking them to a chiropractor (got it approved through the neurosurgeon first for Madi, of course) was the best thing I ever did. It helped soooo much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In this case - normal definately is not what you wanted to hear. What you want is something that can be fixed!
    I'm hoping you'll get some answers soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry you didn't get any answers. I hope that you start to somehow see some improvements soon.

    ReplyDelete