Monday, January 31, 2011

Hospital Update

Evan is starting to get better by the day.  We were moved into a regular room on Saturday afternoon.  Things here a much calmer and it seems we are both getting more rest.  They have slowly been weening him off his oxygen, and he was down to 1 1/2 liters, but during the night last night he decided to pull the oxygen off his face.  His nurse decided to just watch him for a while and see how he did.  I am happy to report that almost 18 hours later he is oxygen free. It is amazing to think that just 4 short days ago he was intensive care on 4 liters of oxygen.

 As usual he is living up to his name sake "young fighter"

One of the first things that happened upon admission to the ICU was testing to find out what kind of virus/infection he had going on.  Last night we were told he has Rhinovirus, which is basically the common cold.  The doctors are very suspicious that due to severe reflux he is aspirating fluid into his lungs which made his lungs unable to fight off such a minor virus.  I got in touch with our GI doctor who has been managing Evans reflux,and other GI issues for several months now and who I have great respect for and he feels we should proceed with the surgery. I think we have come to terms that it is the right thing for him.

I am dreading another surgery but know that it is in his best interest.  There has been some debate between different doctors about whether to get the surgery done while we are here, or send us home and let him completely recover from this illness.  Each doctor has their own opinion and theory and sometimes it becomes overwhelming.Truth be told, I want to get it done now.  We are here, we are settled in a room and I don't want to have to worry about it for the next few weeks.  Like many moms do I have started going down the path of "what ifs."  What if he gets another cold, will we end up back in the emergency room again.  What if we can't get on the surgeons schedule for weeks or months, and we have to wait and worry that much longer.  What if....

He is scheduled for a swallow study tomorrow and then we are going to talk with the surgeon again and make some decisions about what needs to be done and when.  Keeping my fingers crossed for soon. 
Got a wagon ride from the PICU to the floor.  Much better than an amulance ride and he looks so much cuter too!

1 comment:

  1. I will keep you in my prayers as you decide what to do. Trust your gut! He is too dang cute :)