Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Spina Bifida Clinic Update

We had our first Spina Bifida clinic in a while today.  We were supposed to go in February but it was right after Evan had been in the hospital for 10 days and I just couldn't imagine spending anymore time there, so we rescheduled and today was the next opening they had.

I have a love/hate relationship with Spina Bifida Clinic.  I hate the long days.  I hate the worry I have for days before.  I love seeing the doctors and nurses who we have gotten to know over the past year and a half and I love seeing other SB families and often meeting new ones.    Today we met a new little girl named Lilly who is 3.  Her mom brought her down the long hallway in her stroller, stopped, Lilly got out and walked over to the rehab nurse.  A new accomplishment for Lilly in the past 2 weeks.  I am thrilled for Lilly and her family. A take that, SB, moment!!!!

We have had some concerns over the last few weeks about Evans right hip.  Although they are both displaced, there has never been a concern since they were symmetrical.   After some x-rays today we realized they are still symmetrical but he may need to have a surgery done on some of the soft tissue to help the rotation of the right hip.  We are planning on making an appointment with our Ortho doc to discuss this further.

After several weeks of waiting we finally got the final results on his renal ultrasound.  He is having some very minor reflux and so they are going to up his medications, which he was due for anyway because of his great weight gain.

We were also informed that it was finally time to get an official MRI of his brain and spine.  This time he will have to be sedated for the procedure.  Not a huge deal in the big scheme of things, but I hate the thought of him having one more thing. 

Overall, clinic went well.  It wasn't as long as it sometimes is, but we came straight home and both had a good nap.  Now we are off to enjoy the great weather outside!

2 comments:

  1. Glad that things went well overall. Those long days are rough!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Evan
    My name is Jenna and I came across your site. U are an amazing, courageous, strong, and determined fighter. U are a brave warrior, smilen champ, Inspirational hero, U are a super trooper, and a tough cookie. I was born with a rare life threatening disease.
    www.miraclechamp.webs.com I lov eit when others sign my guestbook.

    ReplyDelete